Thursday, May 26, 2011

Don't forget your ABC's

I have just the pillow to help you remember them. Last week I finished the coolest pillow I've ever seen. About three months ago I saw a pattern on Moda Bake Shop for a pillow that used a technique called cathedral windows. 

 

I wanted to use the pattern to make a pillow that could be a back rest for a desk chair. I had a particular friend in mind and so I chose fabric that I thought would be perfect for her. The pattern had a lot of details but it was very easy to follow and even though there were a lot of steps it was pretty simple.


I love the result of this project and it turned out exactly like I planned which doesn't happen often.

Here is a close up of its awesomeness.

Also as part of this pillow I made a binding to finish the edges. To do that you sew a strip of fabric around the edge on the front of the pillow then you wrap it around to the back and secure it somehow. The first time I did this on my quilt I used the machine to secure it on back with less than fabulous results. So this time I did some hand sewing to secure it to the back an it looks so fabulous. 
See, there it is looking so perfect. I want to always do binding like that but I'm afraid of how long it will take on a big ol' quilt.

Today I just realized that in April and May I have been doing a horrible job posting on my blog. So I just want to make a promise to all of you to post at least once a week from now on. It really shouldn't be hard because I have projects to share, I just get lazy. But not anymore. If I don't keep up feel free to fuss at me. I need to be accountable to someone.

Happy Summer to you!!!

Laura

3 comments:

  1. Laura, it is fab! Really pretty. I love cathedral windows but have yet to try them. Love the fabric you chose and the scrappy binding AND the shape. Um, I guess I really like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! Go check out the tutorial at Moda Bake Shop, Angela Nash makes it so simple and easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pillow!! the colors are so bright and cheery!

    hugZ,
    annie
    rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com
    =) new follower =)

    ReplyDelete